The Grange on Farrelly is situated in a quiet location only a 4 minute walk from the Margaret River town centre. Facilities include spacious gardens with a half court tennis court, BBQ and an outdoor swimming pool. We offer a variety of different rooms in a quiet garden setting - all with the natural warmth of timber and featuring 8 free Foxtel channels plus all available free to air channels, reverse cycle air conditioning and free Wi-Fi.
Reception is housed in a local-heritage listed timber building, referred to as 'The Big House'. Built in 1885 by Maurice Coleman Davies as his family residence, this beautiful old house with its long sweeping verandas and hand crafted French double doors, is a perfect example of the type of building favoured by wealthy pioneers. Builder of Leeuwin Lighthouse, the Alexandria Bridge and Leeuwin Water Wheel, M.C Davies controlled the vast timber industry in the South West.
‘The Big House’ was the scene of some lavish entertaining during the timber boom; its 27 rooms included a ballroom, which boasted an imported grand piano. With the decline of the timber industry, the house was vacated, and eventually acquired by the Roman Catholic Church. In 1950 it was dismantled at Karridale and reconstructed in part at Margaret River as a convent school; subsequently it became privately owned.
In 1978 the house was named ‘The 1885 Motel and Restaurant’, in 2000 ‘The Grange on Farrelly’. The re-siting of the home was fortuitous as the whole of Karridale was destroyed by fire in 1961. Except for ‘The Big House’ at The Grange on Farrelly, nothing now remains of the old Karridale community, whose hard blocks once paved many streets of London.